Two words: skillet brownie. How can you go wrong?! At first I wasn't sure if I'd be a fan of pumpkin + chocolate together. But let me tell you: I am now a fan. Plus, I love any recipe that I can cook in a cast iron skillet + the oven. This dessert is oh so easy and slices up into presentation perfect triangles; just lift them out with a pie server. Bonus points for the baking and serving vessel being one in the same!
Pumpkin Cheesecake Skillet Brownie
(adapted from Country Cleaver)
1/2 cup butter, melted + cooled
1 cup chocolate chips, melted + cooled
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (I used King Arthur)
2 tbsp cocoa powder, preferably dark
Pumpkin Cheesecake Topping:
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (recipe below)
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine butter, the cooled melted chocolate, brown + white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until mixed. Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda until a batter forms being sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl so everything is incorporated well.
- Spray or lightly oil an already seasoned cast iron skillet. Spoon the batter into the center of the skillet. Press the batter until it is within a half inch of the edge of the skillet. You want space between the batter and side of the skillet so the edge doesn't overcook. Create a slight ridge around the edge of the batter - similar to the edge of a pizza or pie crust - for the cheesecake topping. It is a runnier batter so the raised edge contains it.
- In a small bowl, mix the softened cream cheese + sugar until smooth. Stir in the pumpkin puree, the egg, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Pour on top of the brownie batter in the skillet.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for approximately 45 minutes. It will be soft in the middle but will set as it cools.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
3 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Whisk all in a small bowl and store in resealable container.